I always enjoy reading other people’s Top 10 lists, and I thought to myself that I’ve never done one. Usually I’m not great at picking favorites, but just for fun I decided I’d put together a list of ten books that I’ve thoroughly enjoyed over the past few years, plus a few extra just because I can’t narrow it down to ten.
Keep an eye out for some reviews of these books in the future. I have actually written some for another site I used to run, so over the next week or two I’ll try to get a couple posted up here. Also, for a list of all the books I’ve read over the past couple years, take a look over here.
Here is my list (in no particular order). What are some of your favorites?
- Shantaram – Gregory David Roberts
- Dharma Bums – Jack Kerouac
- The Sun Also Rises – Ernest Hemingway
- Siddhartha – Hermann Hesse
- The Alchemist – Paulo Coelho
- A Farewell to Arms – Ernest Hemingway
- Crime and Punishment – Fyodor Dostoevsky
- The Beach – Alex Garland
- Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen – Chris McDougall
- A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail – Bill Bryson
And some runners up:
- Life of Pi – Yann Martel
- Eat, Pray, Love – Elizabeth Gilbert
- On the Road – Jack Kerouac
- Into the Wild – Jon Krakaur
- Veronika Decides to Die – Paulo Coelho
To see what I’m currently reading and have read recently, take a look over here
- Shantaram – Gregory David Roberts – Book Review
- What I’ve Been Reading Lately
- Book Review – Eat, Pray, Love
- See more about me and Idealist Cafe
- Add Idealist Cafe to your feed reader
- Or maybe sign up to get free updates by email
- Liking Idealist Cafe on Facebook is a good option
- Catch more frequent and random updates on Twitter
- Just reading this article is cool too! :)
Originally posted on Thursday, July 30th, 2009 at 7:37 AM .